Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Pattern Review 2010 Lined Jacket Contest

I joined, yet, another contest on Pattern Review in hopes that I will either one day be good enough to earn a trophy or just good enough to notice skill improvements. This was one contest where the item to be made drove me nuts. I mean I was almost on the admit list at the local hospital due to unknown insanity reasons! I had this pattern in my stash for some time now and the contest gave me the drive and not to mention I needed a white suit for Women's Day at our church. Now, I really had to get this done. Under fire and a loaded gun, I dove right into the cut and slash to get this bad baby under way. This is the pattern that was under this gun. 
This is what I got. I had to have Fuchsia accents for Women's Day, so I made this cap sleeve top with out the adornments. You can see it in the next picture along with the hidden, but obvious, baby fat underneath it.

This skirt is Butterick. I made the black and white view without the center front seam. I also added the fuchsia flat piping down either side of the front. 
 
Here is the back view. I don't know if you can see it but I can and think it is just because I know it is there. ...the dreaded iron spot! Oh and yeah I know it is wrinkle. Didn't have time...well I was too lazy to iron it. I fabric covered the buttons on the front and the sleeves. Here's a better picture of that.


More pictures and then the Pattern Review review.



The review:
This contest came right on time. I needed a white suit and fuchsia accents for Women's Day at church. I had nothing white and nothing no where near fuchsia. I took the opportunity to make this jacket that was in the stash for a while. Along with it, I made S2599 in Fuchsia. I am not doing a review for it but this top is not for me. I sewed size 12 and added 1 inch to the side seams. I left the top blank with the sleeves and without the ruffles so that it could fit nicely under my jacket. The skirt is B5466. I done view D with a few mods. And I also added the fuchsia stripes on either side of the CF that I put on the fold instead doing a seam down the front as the pattern calls for. And this is my Women's Day White and Fuchsia suit.


Pattern Description:
(From the back of the envelope) Misses/ Miss Petite Lined Jacket with Individual Pattern Pieces for A, B, C cup sizes

Pattern Sizing:
US: 16, 18, 20, 22, 24 EUR: 42-50 FR 44-52 I made View B in size 16 in US using a c-cup.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think so...my waist is not as small, though.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
Heck Naw! And I am mildly putting it. But it could be just me. I don't know.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked the cup sizes and the princess seams.

I HATED the fit and stuff directions. I read those things 3 million times and still didn't understand...I just did my own thing.

Fabric Used:
For the shell I used white stretch twill and for the lining I used fuchsia broadcloth, or was it the poplin? One of them, can't remember.


Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:

1. I used covered buttons.

2. I initially added 2 inches to the sleeves but later took them out.

3. I didn't do the actual pocket...they are only the flaps.

4. The under collar and pocket flaps are in contrast fuchsia.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Nope not sewing this one again. I believe we met on the wrong foot. Anyone want it? Yes I do recommend for the more experienced sewer. By all means, sew it.


Conclusion:
I still love my jacket and the rest of the outfit with it.

1 comment:

Shari said...

Love your suit..you look great in it!