Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

New Look 6961

I enjoyed making these outfits for the girls!

NL6961

They had fun, too. And the photo shoot was hilarious. Here’s the PatternReview:

I think first there needs to be a Pattern Type as "girls" and "children" on the Pattern Review site since not all patterns fit both boys and girls and may not necessarily fit the junior category. So therefore, I marked it Easy to Sew - because it really is.

Pattern Description:
Childs separates. Knit capris, top, and dress.
I made the top and capris for my 2 year old and the top only (twice) for my 7 year old.

Pattern Sizing:
Sizes 3 through 8.
I’d sewn the 3 for my two year old and the 8 for my 7 year old. Although the 8 kind of fits the baby like a dress.

Hold your head up..But not that far

It’s just a tad big in the neck. Here she is trying one on mid construction.

Nii trying the half done top

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes, they all do. What do you think?

Top fit like dress on Nii

Yeah, one is going one way and the other the other way. It was done on purpose because you have to cut the front and back in one layer and since I was making more than one, I was willing to sacrifice one going the opposite than it was meant. So, I cut the fabric double layer.

 
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I skimmed over the directions and done my own thing because I made these on the 'assembly line'. I didn't find anything out of place but like I said 'skimmed' and that wasn't the written directions either. I skimmed the diagrams.

 
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the asymmetrical lines. I love that you can make this as girly as you want it. I hope to do this (for the 7 year old) in ruffle lace. But I am not sure just yet. There are no dislikes except for the facing pieces for the sleeves. To me it kind of made the arms a bit thick. You have to fold the facing in half wrong sides together and turn in that with the sleeve and the bodice – stitch. For my girls they need less fabric as possible in the summer months because they sweat on the drop of a dime. All is well other than that.


Fabric Used:
For the front and back pieces I used a small pique knit. It is really thin and a bit see through. For the sleeves and ruffles I used cotton.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made the outfits per my way. I didn't change anything but I did leave the appliques off. Oh, I did not hem the sleeves like the directions read. (I did see that part of the directions.) I only serged the hem and turned that part under and stitched. Same way for the ruffle hems too. That is about all other than the change mentioned above already. 

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I have sewn it three times and for right now, I have no plans for a while. It is fun and easy but I'm moving on...
YES, I recommend this pattern to anyone who wants a fun, quick and girly garment.

 
Conclusion:
I didn't see too many reviews for this pattern, so maybe it's not too popular. But I say Go Get It or Pull It Out Of Your Stash and sew this up. I love it.

Here are extra photos of the girlies.

Flower sleeveFlower sleeve.

Stripe sleeveStriped sleeve.

Put your hands on your hip and let your back slipReminds me of the cheer, “Put your hands on your hip let your back bone slip….

Shake it to the east...The baby is trying to see how big Sis does it…

PurtyAnn’s Vogue shot.

Green set                      Green set backSet on bed

Love it!

Until another great creation, Schey.