Pages

Sunday, May 29, 2011

SuedeSays Part 2

Yay! I am glad I am done with this jumper. I must say I had fun doing this baby! I found out what the interfacing for the button holes were for. There were supposed to be drawstrings in the waist but I said I did not want them from the start and forgot that they were even supposed to be part of the outfit. So, the interfacing squares were to reinforce the stress of the strings…if I had put them in. But that’s no biggy and who else will know besides you and I?
So, to start things off, I had to make my own bias. Well, they are non-bias because I kept getting cross-eyed with the plaid trying to keep a straight biased line. I really should have tried ONE MORE TIME because I do not like how the seams puckers due to curves not curving the way they should have had I cut on the bias.
SS Own non-bias strips
The pockets are some very unique things to this pattern. I had NEVER done any pocket like this and – I love it. I don’t know if I can describe it well enough for you to understand but the bag part you put your hand in is just a fold back and the bottom of the bag is sewn and the side is caught in the side seam. Maybe you can get a glimpse here:
SS fold over pocket     SS fold over pocket from the front
There is no finish to the bag so I decided to serge after I‘d sewn like the directions instructed.
SS just sewn pocket      SS serged pocket
Before I go any further, let me tell you that just because it says it’s glue - - darn it it still may not stick! I used Elmer’s, fabric tack and almost grabbed some super glue but thought against it. It may stain eventually.
SS glue wont stick
Anyways, I just turned and sewn the vinyl (with my dryer sheets) the best I could and they are pretty darned neat.
I could not decide on the type shoe and realized I need more accessories! So I took pictures with the best possible matches for the shoes. And the choices were:
Black Flats:
SS how is this oneSS w black flats
Black Heels:
SS I'm coolSS w black heels
Tryna get that stand…It’s not quite working. lol
Red Heels:
SS w Red heelsSS take a step
White Flats:
SS w white flatsSS What up
Personally, I like the black heels. The hubby says they don’t look right. These are the one’s he says to wear:
Whoops! Now how am I going to explain this one? I can’t find them. lol However, they were black lace-up sandals with a small heel. Well….
That’s all Suede had to Say for this pattern. Here’s the review:
Pattern Description: From the website: "Misses' & Miss Petite Dresses or Romper. SUEDEsays Collection
Misses' & Miss petite dress or romper with front and trim variations by SUEDEsays"

Pattern Sizing:
D5 is sizes 4 to 12
P5 is 12 to 20
I cut the 14. Or it could have been the 12. I have to go make sure...

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Umm yeah. I do believe so even with my omissions and additions.

Were the instructions easy to follow?
From what I read they were. I only used them for the pocket construction. I picture read like a kinder child for the rest.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I love everything about it. I really love the pocket assembly.

My only dislike is: The butt part of this pattern is made for those who only have a bone in the back. If you have an ounce of ham on your bone - CHECK THE BACK RISE - mine is short. Not really unsightly but I do not like it. Next time I will rise the rise. Or raise the rise....whatever. lol

Oh yeah. If you can see on the photo, I did not put in a hem. I serged and left them as is. I don't want them too short. ANd the serge took off nothing! I just want to neaten the edge.

Fabric Used:
I used a cotton shirting and a lightweigth vinyl.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
1. Left off the pockets that goes in the top bodice seam.
2. Made my own Non-bias.
3. Did not hem the legs.
4. Did not insert the drawstring. I used elastic in a casing.
5. Used two snaps at the top under the vinyl. (I need to get that photo taken.)


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I would like to in a lightweight denim. Yes, I really recommend it if this is your style. Not a lot of people agree with 30 somethings wearing jumpers but I don't care. I like them and I wear them. I am the artist and I am the canvas. ;)

Conclusion:
Love the look? Go for it! Don't forget to raise the rise!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ok ok ok.... I like gurl.... you posn aint ya..... I like the denim idea..... ima make n the near future.... you and kerah already have projects maped out for me.... lol :0

Tanya said...

The black heels rock that's probably why your husband didn't like them lol. The black flats look nice too. The jumpsuit looks great on you, you did a fantastic job.

Myra said...

I agree, you did a great job on this jumper...I love the black heels, black and the white flats with it. Each give it a different great look! You can't go wrong with either.

Scheryka said...

Thanks ladies!

Ev, you better get that list of to-do's done.;)

Tanya, you are so right! Lol I love them even more!

Myra, I agree. I have some white and red tennis for the flea market walk.;)