This is the first item for my 10 Essentials that was stated in a previous post. I made this one first because it was the easiest. I needed to start off with an easy piece to break into the mood.
I made only the tunic top. I wanted to make the bottoms but had just enough fabric for the top alone and, besides, I really didn’t want the big paisley design on the pants. I wanted a plain pant and couldn’t find a plain fabric in the burgundy nor the kiwi green.
It’s look purple but it’s actually kind of burgundy.
The pattern is labeled Simplicity Easy to Sew. I must agree! Too simple. Anyone with an ounce of sewing knowledge can make this without the directions. Make sure the markings are clear and you fly through this without wings. So, what took me so long to make it? No mojo and other priorities.
Description Misses’ and women’s dress or tunic and pants in two lengths. Easy to sew. I made view C.
Excuse the boxes. I have been stash searching.
Size The pattern envelope reads Size AA (10-18); EUR 36-44; and FR 38-46. I made the front piece a 12 and the back piece a 14. I don’t know how that happened but as I was cutting the pieces out, my youngest son told me the numbers didn’t match. I just left it because they weren’t too far off in measurements anyways.
Did it look like the pattern photo or drawing on the pattern envelope? Yes! Darn near exact, same color, too. My fabric has b huge kiwi green paisley designs. I love paisley.
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes! I read them to make sure I was doing the pleats that are at each shoulder. In hind site, I really didn’t need them. I also referenced them for the front facing and didn’t need them for that either. From here out I didn’t even look at them.
Fabric used I used a very pretty medium shade burgundy broadcloth with big kiwi green paisley. I love that this broadcloth is not lightweight like some others I have felt. I had my eyes on it for a long time but could not bring myself to buy it at regular price. $9.99 a yard. So, when I happen to be in Hancock for no reason at all but to browse, I saw it on the clearance table. I picked up the bolt and it was 2 yards on it and I paid $1.99 a yard for it! Score!, even if it was only enough for the top.
Pattern alterations or design changes There weren’t many at all. I mentioned before the mismatched sizing between the front and back of the top. Besides that, I made 3 inch slits on either sides of the hem then used a 1/2 inch hem for the body and sleeves. I did not use the interfacing for the facing pieces. I just gave them a good pressing and they hold pretty good shape. I used the last strip of fabric that was about 3/4 of a yard. I cut it in half the long way and put those two pieces together to make the sash long enough to wrap around my waist twice and then tie.
I wouldn’t know what color your screen shows, but this color is closer to the real shade of a medium burgundy.
Will I sew it again? Do I recommend? Well, yes and yes. I actually have an order to make it in black with gold trim for a lady at my church to wear to our Black History Program. I hope I will be able to get a couple of photos of her in it. Yes, of course, I recommend.
Conclusion? Very confortable tunic and I may sew another one for myself again if I can find the right shade of green. If not, I’m keeping it in the ‘visit again’ pile for later.
Here are my in-between time items I made for the girls.
McCall’s 6275 Girl’s dresses, scarf, and leggings. I made the dress and the leggings.
The dress is a fail. I added 5 inches to the hem to get an effect my daughter saw in the store. I worked but not as cute as we thought it would come out. The leggings are great though. Ann wanted some skinnies because the last pants were not her style. I made the leggings in denim that were left over from a past project and let there be skinnies. Here are a the pictures she took. She posed – I snapped.
Can’t you tell she likes her top? Neither do I.
Next is Butterick 6659 for Nii.
I made one for Ann a while back and Nii loves it probably the most. She waits until Ann goes to school and puts it on over her clothes and wears it all day. I have to peel it off of her because Ann wants it back to sleep in at night.
I used the same size for both girls. An 8. Only I overlapped a 1/2 inch for both the front and back center folds for Nii and used View A. I used View D for Ann. I haven’t gotten a photo of Ann’s yet and I don’t promise to post one because I hardly ever go back and post photos. But here the two photos of Nii I did manage to get because she didn’t want to take off her Princess. Anything light pink is princess to her. As I said she wears them over her clothes and it’s hard to get her out of them. This is how we went to pick up Ann from school and grab some items from the grocery store.
LOL I love my babies! They light up the darkest spots of me.
Until later, Be Encouraged, Scheryka.