Pages

Saturday, January 28, 2012

McCall’s 6355 - Black Rib Knit

I already have a long sleeve black top but I felt I needed another one that I could comfortably tuck into my pants and not have a thick padding around the waist area. After reading a few reviews, I thought, OK, I’ll give it a try.

M6355

It is described as Misses’ tops and dresses: semi-fitted top, dress have optional front and back darts, self-neck binding and optional invisible side seam zipper. The tanks have self armhole binding. Oh, by the way, this is a Palmer Pletsch pattern. I made view C.

M6355

This pattern comes in sizes 8 to 22. My envelope has the 8 to 16 and I cut the 8. In retrospect, I wish I knew how to downgrade because I think I should have cut around a 6 or maybe I could have even gotten away with a 4.

What I liked about this pattern is that there were a few successful makeups on PatternReview. I liked that it is a basic building block of a top or sheath dress.

What I don’t like about the pattern? It might just be me but I do not like the darts or their placement. There’s something with me and darts that just do not like each other. I looked in my closet at some rtw and, ummm, I don’t have too many tops with darts. I wonder why?

M6355 Front

I wouldn’t know if the instructions were easy or not because the top is a cinch to put together. I did browse over the fit pointers and actually should have followed those at the least. But I doubt the outcome would have been different because of my fabric choice. 

I used this really great black, thick, tight, rib knit. It had great return. I love this fabric and had originally wanted to make a long tight ankle skirt out of it to wear with a wide belt. This fabric is clearly not for this top. It is kind of on the heavy side. But I will see how it goes. It goes (went) to the chopping block to be made into some boot warmers.

M6355 Back

I added 1/2 inch to the hem and 5 inches to the sleeves. I wanted long sleeves not 3/4 sleeves. I took the shoulder in 1/2 inch because they hung over the edge. Then took off 1/2 from the sleeve cap. I played with the bust dart placement and don’t know what to say about that except I’m not totally happy with it. I left the sleeves and hem only serged. I couldn’t get the hems to decently turn without flaring out so I just left them as is. I did the same thing with a previous rib knit top I made.

M6355 Front close up

I’ll sew it again eventually. Right now I am a bit bombed about this one. It will be in a light-weight knit, that’s for sure. I also want to do the dress for spring. I already have the fabric washed and cut because if not it may end up as something else. I will see if I can recommend it after I make another rendition.

Conclusion: I’ll have to get back to you on this.

In the mean time I have decided to put a tag in all of my clothes stating the pattern. Here’s a look of one that was made entirely too big. Next time I will surely use a smaller size.

M6355 Tag

Until later, Be Encouraged and Go Grab Your Dreams, Schey.

2 comments:

Myra said...

Oh that's too bad!!! Looks like it would have been perfect!! (even with the hem as is!) Don't you just hate when something goes wrong with a completed project!!! I just had that happen to me with a pair of pants...totally trash now and I'm so upset about my fabric too!!! The only thing to make me feel better, is to buy more fabric...off to shopping I go!

I feel ya!

Scheryka said...

LOL exactly! Now that's what I call therapy!