Pages

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Butterick 4967

***The pictures are a quick well-after-the-fact. This is NOT how she looked! ***

This dress was made for Ann so that she can wear it to the Mount Pleasant Baptist Church Annual Christmas Banquet this year. She chose the pattern and the fabric.

As bad as I wanted to do the long white version (c), we had to settle for the three tiered pink version (b) because of fabric constraints. Everything came from the stash (except for the zipper). I really didn’t know how I would lengthen the dress (and keep the tiers even) because my daughter is tall for her age. I just left it as is. So, needless to say, she will get one wearing out of this dress.

Front wo bolero

Description: The pattern is labeled easy. After it was constructed, I would say that it lived up to it’s description. It was pretty easy. It’s a girls’ lined, sleeveless dress with tier variations and back zipper and a cummerbund.

Size: The size range are from 2 to 5 and 6 to 8. I cut the 7 by measurements and should have cut the 8 for the length.

Did it look like the photo or drawing on the envelope? Yes, it does. Almost even down to the color. Ann chose green to tie in for Christmas. I was hoping she’d chosen the red plaid, but this is her dress and she’s got to like it. Besides, I won’t be the one wearing it.

back wo bolero 

Were the instructions easy to  follow? Yes, they were very easy. I would like to warn the beginning sewists to make sure you keep your flounces labeled. One mistake I made was misreading the cut line for the stay pieces. I believe this could have allowed me to add at least one more flounce.

Fabric used? Ann chose white taffeta just like the photo and a forest green taffeta for the cummerbund.

Pattern alterations or design changes? First, since the dress is a bit short, I serged the flounces only. I did not turn up a hem. On top of the serging I put a silver ribbon as trim and used the same ribbon for little bows on the last flounce and one bow centered at the top of the bodice.

skirt w bows

I did not use the hook and eye that the pattern called for because, well, to be honest I just didn’t want to. Lastly, I did not use the pattern piece for the cummerbund. I cut wide piece of fabric, fit it to Ann, sewn to the dress via the zipper and added little tacks to hold it in place in the front. I omitted the flower.

Will I sew it again? Do I recommend? Well, since this is for an occasion, I may not. However, I will keep it in the stash because the two year old might want one when she’s this size. Yes, I recommend this dress for those who have not sewn it and may be wondering if it is at all worth sewing. it could possibly be sewn casually in denim, too.

front w bolero

Bolero up close

FWB again

 

Conclusion: Very cute dress. Age appropriate. Has endless possibilities.

Back with bolero

The Bolero is from another pattern. I forgot which one and the package has been playing hide-and-go-seek since I finished it. It was made because the arm pits were low. I saw this after I was finish and because of the cool weather.

Until, later.

5 comments:

Monica D said...

CUTE, do I see a little model in the making! :)

Candice said...

Very pretty dress, and just as equally gorgeous model!

Scheryka said...

Thank you MAD14kt and Candice! Yes, she wants to be a list of things that also includes a fashion designer and model!

Virginia's Daughter said...

Very cute dress. Love how you made it work with the amount of fabric that you had. Shows the skill of a true seamstress....or as my co-worker would say "dressmaker". Don't you just love age appropriate clothing for little girls?...me too! Nice work!

Scheryka said...

Yes, age appropriate is a must for the girls! I made the baby a dress but she hasn't grasped to the camera too keen, yet. It's a hit and miss with her. I may go back and post it because I really like it.